David Blackwood (1941- )
"Sam Kelloway Dreams" 12/50
10" x 19.5" Plate
David Blackwood was born in 1941 in the outport community of Wesleyville, to a family with a long seafaring history. Recognized as an artistic prodigy, he was awarded a Government of Newfoundland Centennial scholarship to study at the Ontario College of Art, in Toronto. By the age of twenty-three one of his etchings had been purchased by the National Gallery of Canada.
He went on to become Art Master at Trinity College School, Port Hope, Ontario, a part time position which allowed him to teach as well as continue studio work. In 1969 he was appointed the first Artist-in-Residence at Erindale College, University of Toronto, in Mississauga, a position he held until 1975. In 1992 the Blackwood Gallery, named in his honour, was officially opened at the Erindale campus, now known as The University of Toronto in Mississauga. The same year, 1992, Blackwood was awarded two honorary degrees: a Doctor of Laws from the University of Calgary, and a Doctor of Letters from Memorial University, St. Johns.
In 1993, Blackwood was awarded the Order of Canada in recognition of his ongoing and important contributions to the cultural life and heritage of our country.
In 2000 the Art Gallery of Ontario announced the acquisition of a major collection of Blackwood prints and the creation of a Blackwood Research Centre within the Marvin Gelber Print and Drawing Centre which will make the AGO the ‘collection of record’ for the artist’s work.
In 2003 Blackwood was awarded the Order of Ontario.
In November of 2003, David Blackwood was named Honorary Chairman of the Art Gallery of Ontario, the first practising artist to be so honoured.
David Blackwood currently lives and works in Port Hope, Ontario, and maintains a studio in Wesleyville, Newfoundland.